Creating and testing your own tour (WOTGA seminar)

This is a step by step guide that takes you from mapping your route to testing the tour before you reach the audio recording stage of the process.

Mapping your route
Map your route using VoiceMap’s mapping tool and a desktop computer or laptop. You’ll want to zoom in as close as possible and map the route in satellite mode. To get started, select the “Draw Route” from the menu on the right-hand side of the map. Click on your start location on the map and at a secondary location roughly a block to draw your first line. This is the path the listener will follow so make sure to stick to the correct side of the road, keep to the sidewalk and don’t cut through buildings.

You can read this tutorial on mapping for more information: https://docs.voicemap.me/tour-publishers/plotting-a-route/

Adding location markers to your route line
Now that your route is mapped out, you can start adding location markers. Location markers are the points where the audio will trigger. You want to add location markers for content and for directional purposes so whenever the listener needs to turn right or left. To add a location marker to your route select “Plot Location” from the menu on the right-hand side of the map. Click on a point on the map next to the route line to add in a location marker. You can then give it a name to save it and then drag the location onto the route line by clicking on it. You’ll see a list of the location markers you’ve added appear on the right-hand side of your map. Clicking on one of these will bring you to the location on the map.

You can read this tutorial on adding locations markers for more information: https://docs.voicemap.me/tour-publishers/choosing-locations/

Adding scripts
The next step is to start writing the scripts for each location. To start writing, click on the pencil icon next to the name of the location marker in the list on the right-hand side of your screen. There’s a bin icon next to it if you want to delete a location marker. When you’re happy with a script, select the “Save Location” option. If you select “Save and submit” it will send the script to your editor and you won’t be able to continue working on it. You would generally submit your scripts to your editor to review them and make sure they work logistically but we’ll be skipping this part for the workshop today so please only use the “Save location” or “Save with text-to-speech” options.

Remember the components to a great audio tour are as follows:

• A route with a few surprises
  • A narrative that develops, establishing context early on and expanding on it later
  • A climax that brings things together at a particularly captivating location
  • An authentic narrator

Keep in mind that the listener is only using your voice to get from one location to the next, so you’ll need to include directions for each location. You only want to give them the most immediate direction needed, so it’s best to be as granular as possible. It’s a good idea to also read your scripts out loud to make sure they sound right for the ear. And remember, brackets work on paper but not for the ear.

Please make sure to stick to the word counts if the listener is moving. If you need to go over your word count, just stop them. There’s more information about that here: https://voicemap.me/tutorial/write/word-counts

We also have other valuable resources about writing for location-aware audio here: https://docs.voicemap.me/step/write/

Saving with text-to-speech
To prepare your tour for testing, save each script using our “Save with text-to-speech” function. This will add scratch audio to your tour. If you make changes to the scripts after initially saving with our “Text-to-speech” function, you’ll need to save it again by selecting “Save with text-to-speech” or the scratch audio won’t have updated. You can read more about this here: https://docs.voicemap.me/tour-publishers/save-with-text-to-speech/

Testing your tour
Once you’ve saved your tour using our “Text-to-speech” function, you can go and test your tour. You’ll need to download the VoiceMap app on your phone, log in using the same account details you used on our website download using the same account. Once you’ve logged in, you’ll find your tour in two places:

1. On the Account screen under Purchased
  2. Listed in your city, if your city has other published tours. (It’s still only visible to you.)

Download the tour, plug in your headphones and start testing.

Once you’ve downloaded your tour, the files on your device don’t change. If you make adjustments in the Tour Editor, you’ll need to delete the old version and then download the latest version again first before you go out to do any additional tests.

To delete a tour, just swipe it to the left on the Downloaded section of the Account screen.

You can find more information like what to look out for when testing here: https://docs.voicemap.me/step/test/

1 Like

For anybody who is creating a tour in a location not already listed at voicemap.me/tour/new, please just send us a message and we’ll add it for you. We’re online at the moment and you won’t have to wait more than a couple of minutes.

Hi, is this the location for the WOTGA group forum?

Hi Dave, yes it is! Please let us know if you have any questions

Thanks.
Could you add Criccieth to the location list please?

For anyone stuck with what length to make this test tour, each location markers should be a couple of lines longth. Don’t worry about the length too much and you only need a handful of location markers in order to test the tour.

If you are unable to physically go out and test the tour, you can use VoiceMap’s Continuous Play option in the app to listen to the tour you’ve created virtually.

@davejep I’ve added Criccieth in as a location. Please refresh your page to see it in the list of available locations.

It seems like a number of people are having a problem with the line. They’ve accidentally added the first point before getting the map to the correct location and so now they’re stuck with a point that’s in the wrong place and they don’t know what to do to get it to the right place.

The problem is that you can’t delete that first point, you can only move it. But if you you click on the “node”, i.e. the point, you can drag it along until you get it to the right place. It’s best to do this before you add any other nodes.

This video might also help: https://youtu.be/tINqxRgQR6I

For anybody who has plotted the route, added locations and added some script, then saved with text to speech, the next step is downloading the tour in the VoiceMap app and actually going out to do the tour, listening with headphones.

I can’t believe I’ve done something - I’ve made lots of mistakes and the timing’s all a bit haywire but I am so pleased with my little tour. Love the American voice but dreadful Welsh pronunciation! My big mistake was to send and submit one of my stops when I meant to save it. I also had too short a tour. BUT it’s my starting point and it’s a lot further on than I expected. So thank Alicia and Iain. Lots of questions but the big one is How do you add something to text (or remove) once you’ve done it? I also found it difficult with a MacBook Air trackpad to plot the route but I think I can solve that with getting a mouse.

1 Like

@sian.rob, the only thing that should prevent you from adding to or editing a script is submitting it. The idea is that at that point, our editors are taking a looking and we don’t want you and them overwriting each other. But if the location is just saved or saved with text to speech, you can continue to come back and edit it.

If you save and submit the location, we get an email saying so, and then after we review and approve or edit it, you get an email telling you this too.

Does that make sense?

Really glad you’ve reached this point!

Iain Im here can you let me know how to post in on the forum pleasethanks
Sean

1 Like

Hi @sean.westlake you’ve successfully posted on the forum!

do you mean I have posted my walk on the forum and is so where do I find it?

1 Like

@sean.westlake, the tour doesn’t need to be posted to the forum. When I asked you to move the chat over here, I meant just so that I could answer the question in a place where others might see the answer, since this is the final step of the exercise.

To access the tour you’ve created, and saved with text to speech, follow these steps:

1. Install the VoiceMap app if you haven’t already
  2. Sign in with the same details you used when you were on the website, creating your tour
  3. Go to Account
  4. Go to Purchased
  5. You’ll see the tour there and tapping on it will open it up with a big Download button

Once you’ve done that, you can go out and do it.

Thanks got that done and the first two plots work okay so that was good

1 Like