Product Connectivity Issues with GetYourGuide

You might have noticed that some tours aren’t currently available for booking through GetYourGuide. This is because of a connection issue that started this morning, following recent changes made by our booking system, Bokun. We’re actively investigating the situation and will share updates as soon as we have more information.

We don’t believe this issue is related to GetYourGuide’s recent announcement regarding the removal of self-guided tours, as this has not yet significantly impacted our listings.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hi @helene

When you say unavailable for booking do you mean visible but a reservation is not possible or the listing for the guide is not visible. I can’t find my Ronda or Cádiz tours on GYG at the moment. Jerez is so far down the list I doubt if anyone will ever see it.

I have seen a new audio guide for Cádiz appear in the last 30 days… Why is GYG accepting new ones if they are going to delete existing ones? https://www.getyourguide.com/cadiz-l428/tour-audioguiado-de-cadiz-monumental-a-tu-ritmo-t624784/?ranking_uuid=1f52b012-a04b-43a8-a6bd-89408ed67cc3

Hi @clive

Some tours aren’t currently available for booking through GetYourGuide, but they are still visible on the platform. We are in contact with GetYourGuide to understand if this issue is related to their recent announcement about removing self-guided tours. We will keep publishers informed as we learn more.

Regarding your question about why GYG is accepting new listings while removing existing ones, we don’t have an answer, and it’s likely we may never get an answer. We’re at their mercy here, unfortunately. We’re doing everything we can to get to the bottom of this and will share updates as soon as we have more information. We’ll be able to provide more details within the next day or so, but we want to ensure we have all the facts before doing this.

We can’t find any VoiceMap tours on GetYourGuide at the moment (neither ours, nor anyone else’s). It’s not just that they’re not available to book - they’re not visible to us. Maybe this depends on the country you’re accessing the platform from, or you see something different through your account as a supplier to GYG?

Hi @treksierranevada unfortunately the tours have been removed, please see my update below.

1 Like

Update: Connectivity Issues with GetYourGuide

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update you on the availability of VoiceMap tours on GetYourGuide (GYG). Last week, we noticed a connectivity issue between GYG and our booking channel manager. After following up, we learned that recent platform changes have led GYG to remove all VoiceMap tours from their platform.

Unfortunately, this means that VoiceMap tours are currently unavailable for booking through GYG, and they have also canceled all future bookings. We understand this is disappointing news, especially given the value your tours have brought to the platform.

We’re in contact with GYG to address the issue, though we’re still waiting for further details. It now seems most likely that this may be connected to GYG’s decision to phase out self-guided audio tours, but we’ll keep you updated as we learn more.

Since we’ve been aware of GYG’s plan to remove self-guided tours for some time, we’ve been working on alternative promotion strategies. Adding to that, while sales through resellers like GYG have shown limited growth over the past year, we’ve seen steady increases in direct sales through our app and website. More customers are returning to take additional tours, which is an encouraging sign as we work to strengthen our customer base and explore new promotional opportunities.

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll continue to keep you informed as the situation develops.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @helene

Well, I don’t really have anywhere to publish my rant about this so I’ll post it here. Feel free to use it everyone and everywhere!

Get Your Guide Removes Audio Guides: A Setback for Local Creators and the Community

In a disheartening move, Get Your Guide (GYG) recently decided to remove all audio guides from their marketplace. This decision is a significant blow for local creators like myself, who have relied on GYG to reach a global audience. For me, 60 percent of my sales for audio guides in Ronda, Cádiz, Jerez de la Frontera, and Grazalema came through GYG.

This abrupt change is not only disappointing but also undermines the tireless efforts of companies like VoiceMap, which work relentlessly to promote and support audio guide creators worldwide.

The Role of VoiceMap in Promoting Local Tourism

VoiceMap has been a crucial partner in helping creators like me bring the rich history and culture of places like Ronda, Cádiz, Jerez de la Frontera, and Grazalema to life. These audio guides are meticulously crafted to offer travelers a deep, immersive experience that traditional tours often fail to provide. By allowing travelers to explore at their own pace, audio guides give them the freedom to connect with a location’s stories, legends, and hidden gems on their terms.

VoiceMap’s commitment to supporting creators and ensuring that diverse, authentic voices are heard is evident in the quality of their platform. The removal of these guides from GYG’s marketplace not only diminishes the travel experience for users but also disregards the hard work and dedication that goes into creating these valuable resources.

A Significant Loss for Local Creators

For small creators and local businesses, GYG’s decision is a serious setback. Platforms like GYG have been essential in connecting our audio guides with travelers who might otherwise never discover them. My guides have helped countless visitors explore the stunning city of Ronda or the historic streets of Cádiz, all while supporting a local expert with a deep passion for these regions.

This decision doesn’t just cut off a vital revenue stream—it also limits the variety of experiences available to travelers. VoiceMap and creators like myself are focused on offering something more than just generic tours. We provide unique, in-depth experiences that highlight the true essence of each location. By removing audio guides, GYG is turning its back on this diversity and the local voices that enrich the travel experience.

The Impact of Get Your Guide’s Decision

GYG’s move seems especially shortsighted in today’s travel landscape, where authenticity and personal connection are increasingly valued by travelers. Audio guides meet this demand perfectly, offering rich, flexible content that goes beyond the limitations of traditional guided tours. By eliminating these options, GYG risks alienating both creators and travelers who seek more meaningful ways to explore.

What’s most frustrating is the lack of communication or justification for this decision. As a creator, I invested considerable time and resources into developing content for GYG, trusting that they would continue to support and promote my work. The sudden removal of these guides feels like a betrayal of that trust and a significant disservice to both creators and travelers.

Moving Forward: What’s Next?

In response to this setback, I’m exploring alternative platforms and channels to continue offering my audio guides. However, the loss of GYG as a key sales channel is a stark reminder of the risks involved in relying too heavily on third-party platforms. I encourage fellow creators to diversify their sales strategies and to build a stronger, independent digital presence.

To Get Your Guide, I urge you to reconsider this decision. The value of audio guides, particularly those created with the help of VoiceMap, lies in their ability to connect travelers with the heart and soul of a destination. By removing them, you’re not just cutting off a source of income for creators—you’re also depriving travelers of the chance to experience a place in a deeply personal and meaningful way.

3 Likes

I wonder what we’ll see happen here @clive. It’s definitely not going to be a complete loss, with customers who would have booked through GYG not looking for alternatives. In Ronda especially! Their offering there is mostly tours that start somewhere else, especially if it’s a same day booking.

Viator will probably pick up some of the slack, and we’ve already seen some of the bookings that were cancelled by GYG rebooked through Viator. But we’ll also see more direct bookings – and we have an opportunity here to focus on channels where we have more control.

1 Like

The Viator point is interesting and we’ll see what happens but for me viator has never performed with just a few reviews and sales. GYG was the big seller with 130 odd reviews and hundreds of sales. be nice if Viator helps out a bit and as we come into my “high” season after the summer we’ll see how sales go…

To be honest this is GYG’s loss. And one of the most disturbing things (if my understanding is right) they actually cancelled purchases? How did that work when the buyer gets instant access to the audio guide to listen to in their home before their trip for example?

If they have already redeemed the tour, we have two choices @Clive:

1. Invalidate the purchase and let them know that they no longer have access to the tour in the Voicemap app
  2. Honour the booking and hope they’ll take the opportunity to experience a VoiceMap tour.

While we won’t make anything from these sales, I much prefer option two. @Helene has emailed them explaining the situation, as well as the fact that we have tours all over the world, available directly. We also made it clear that GetYourGuide’s removal of self-guided tours isn’t in the best interests of their customers.

Well!. That is just awful @iain @helene

For my part I would wish our customers the second choice to honour the booking and if any of my tours in Ronda, Grazalema, Jerez or Cádiz are included in this then please deduct the refund amount from my next sales payment… I will pay for their tour without issue…

GYG should be ashamed of themselves…

Have GYG given any word on why they have removed VoiceMap and other audio tours but left other far inferior ones in place? In Ronda there is one for sale at 2 euros and in Cádiz one for 3.99… They must be selling like hot cakes as they are the only ones left for people wanting this type of tour…

Hi @clive we haven’t had clear communication from GYG on this unfortunately, once we know more about why they still feature some tours and their plans for self-guided audio tours, we’ll let you know.