Translating my tour

Can I offer the tour in other languages?

You can publish your tour in languages other than English. At present, VoiceMap can support ten other languages. If you are able to provide the scripts and audio translation in one of those languages, we can then duplicate your route and publish it. If you are unable to provide the translations, we would then need to outsource a translator at a cost.

Hi Gary, do you offer Korean as a language? If not, are you planning to do it in the near future?

Hi Sébastien,

You can see the languages we currently offer on VoiceMap on the left-hand side on this page: https://voicemap.me/tour?utf8=✓&query=&sort=age

We currently don’t have any plans to add Korean but new languages can be added at a small cost. It’s normally under $500. In order for us to add a new language to VoiceMap, we require two things:

1. At least one tour in that language, and it must eventually be a published tour
  2. A translation of the user interface

Translating the user interface is where the cost comes in but if the person looking to publish in the language is happy to translate the UI for us then we can do it that way.

Hi Alicia, thanks for answering. I am not sure though if I understand correctly. Do I have to find a Korean translator? I am attending a major Canadian tourism tradeshow in May called Rendez-vous Canada and I plan to test the market and see if there is any interest in Korean, among different markets. If the interest is there, I will then get back to you in order to fully understand how translation in languages you do not currently offer works.

Hi @sebastien.ivers, we can help you find someone who is able to translate the tour into Korean and provide the voiceover. We can discuss this in more detail once you know if there is interest.

Thanks! I will keep you posted once I have discussed with potential clients.

Hey there!
Has anybody translated a tour to Mandarin?
And if so, what did it cost to hire a translator/voice over artist?
Thank you!

Thanks for the question Fil. Yao Zhao normally does our Mandarin translations. I’ve asked him if he can get back to you here.

1 Like

Hi Fil, my name Yao Zhao, Head of Product for China. We have established partnerships with translators who normally do subtitles for TV series as well as a number of professional voice artists. We’ve published 12 Chinese tours so far and we’ve figured out how to do this well. The rate covers our costs: $25 per minute of source audio, i.e. the recording of your tour in English. Happy to tell you more if you are interested. You can email me at yao@voicemap.me

1 Like

Excellent, thanks Iain and Yao!
On this tour I’m going to wait and see how it does before translating, but great information to have.

Out of curiosity, has Voicemap considered doing a royalty-sharing program for translators and Voice Over artists?

Yes Fil, we’ve actually done this manually with some of our Dutch tours, and it’s something we’ll look at more formally as we grow. ACX is an interesting model.

What we’d need to do to make this work is build more sophisticated reporting with roles and dashboards for additional parties, beyond just VoiceMap and the tour’s publisher. We’d also need some way for these deals to be agreed without our direct involvement, with the royalty percentage set at X. This is a lot of work, but we’ll get there eventually.

For the time being, if a translator is interested in working with us to make tours available in a new language, we help to connect them to publishers and then manually keep track of sales and who is owed what based on the agreed revenue split.

We’re happy to announce that @clive and @Willem have been working together to translate Clive’s Ronda tour into German. We love to see this type of collaboration.

If you’re fluent in more than one language and interested in a similar collaboration, then please let us know.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting us in touch! It makes sense to translate audio guides especially as all the groundwork has been done in the original language version. Really looking forward to hearing the German version of the Ronda Audio guide. Its already available in English and Spanish and I am actively looking for both French and Dutch translators… Heres the info for the English version: The VoiceMap GPS Audio Guide for Ronda - Ronda Today

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to say that my audio tour for the town of Ronda has been expertly translated by @willem Thankyou!

The deal was a one off payment that we agreed before work began and payment made at the moment of publishing on Voicemap) but, it might be an idea for some type of sales sharing system through Voicemap (If both parties have projects published on the platform). It could entice others to come forward and help translate for others like myself…

Thank you all!!!

1 Like